What you need to know
- The UK banned Huawei from its 5G equipment going forward and intends on removing all existing equipment by 2027.
- Huawei's VP Victor Zhang says the country should reconsider following the defeat of incumbent U.S. President Trump at the polls.
- The company hopes that the incoming Biden Administration will adopt a softer policy.
Huawei wants the UK to revisit its ban on the company's telecommunications equipment following the loss of the current U.S. president in the 2020 Presidential elections. Speaking to the Guardian, Vice President Victor Zhang said that the ban would set the UK years back in 5G adoption and worsen the economic divide between the North and South of the country.
Zhang primarily spoke about the cost of the ban to the UK, saying:
The UK's Huawei ban has been attributed to the influence of the U.S, rather than independent policy adopted by the country. While a parliamentary report earlier in the year accused Huawei of being in collusion with the Chinese Communist Party, Huawei responded by accusing the report of being opinion heavy and fact light.
On the risks of potential Huawei backdoors, Zhang added that the UK had already evaluated them in previous years, noting:
U.S. restrictions on Huawei have since lifted slightly, allowing the company to purchase chips that don't further its 5G interests. It's a huge blow to Huawei's ambitions, and one that it's likely going to continue fighting for as long as it can.
Sign up for Black Friday email alerts!
Get the hottest deals available in your inbox plus news, reviews, opinion, analysis and more from the Android Central team.