As a remote worker (and recent self-isolator), I love how video chat platforms allow me to stay in touch with friends and family. But sometimes those contacts are not available to chat when I am. Other times, I just want to send off a quick note without disrupting their daily flow. For those instances, I've come to utilize Google Duo's ability to send pre-recorded video messages. I'll show you how easy this is to do in the steps below.
How to leave a video message with Google Duo
- Open the Google Duo app on your phone, tablet, or Chromebook, and make sure you're signed in with your Google account.
- If you've never opened the app before, you will need to grant it permissions to access your phone's microphone, camera, and contacts.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the contacts view.
- Tap on the contact or group you want to leave a message for.
- Tap on the red circular Message button at the bottom right of the screen to record your video message.
- In addition to video messages, you can elect to send a voice message only or you can type a note and send it as a text message.
As I mentioned, this feature works equally well for groups as for individuals, so during your quarantine you can send a thinking of you message to your grandparents, or a silly song to your sorority sisters. Have fun with it (but don't be too annoying!). And if you're looking for more Google Duo tips and tricks, we have a handy roundup of all our favorites!
Our top equipment picks
Google Duo works great as an Android or iOS app, or in a web browser. Here are some gadgets we think can deliver fantastic Google Duo calls.
Best Big Screen Chromebook
Great functionality in a price-performing package
This super-sized successor to our favorite C330 brings a solid offering to the large-screen segment of the Chromebook market.
Not a Poser
A flexible tablet
The Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab is an exciting hybrid device, both in terms of its build and its intended use cases. If you're looking for a tablet form factor with the ultimate in flexibility, this is a device worth considering.
Sign up for Black Friday email alerts!
Get the hottest deals available in your inbox plus news, reviews, opinion, analysis and more from the Android Central team.
Jeramy was the Editor-in-Chief of Android Central. He is proud to help *Keep Austin Weird* and loves hiking in the hill country of central Texas with a breakfast taco in each hand.