Those of us who have felt the crushing weight of the ban hammer comes down upon our fragile skulls know the pain it can cause. There are few things as sad as pulling up to your favorite digital hangout only to find that you are no longer allowed inside. If you've turned on your PlayStation 4 and discovered that you've been banned from the PlayStation Network, then take a look at the advice below.
Identify your error messages
If you cannot connect to the PSN you will be provided with an error message. While the details given are somewhat sparse, it can give you an idea of where you stand. Start by writing down your error message and comparing it to the list below.
- 8002A227: You cannot use PlayStation®Network with this account.
- 8002A231: Your PlayStation®Network account has been suspended.
- 80710016: For more information, go to WS-37397 Error Code (most often means PSN doesn't like something about your IP).
- WS-37337-3: This PSN account has been temporarily suspended.
- WS-37368-7: This PSN account has been banned.
- WS-37338-4: This PS4 console has been permanently banned from the PlayStation Network.
- WS-37397-9: Connection Error. For more information, go to WS-37397 Error Code (most often means PSN doesn't like something about your IP).
What to do if your account was banned or suspended
If your error code matches up to a suspension or a ban from the list above here are your options.
- Go to the PlayStation website to check what rules from the ToS (Terms of Service) you may have broken.
- Check your bank. PlayStation Network has a near zero-tolerance stance on being owed money.
- If you find yourself temporarily banned from the PlayStation Network and you recently asked your bank to stop all payments or your account is empty, then that could be your problem.
- Try signing in on a different PlayStation 4 or on a browser from your phone or computer.
- If you can sign in there, but not your console, the issue may be with your PlayStation and not your account.
- Give PlayStation a call at 1-800-345-7669.
If you've checked the ToS, are up to date on your payments, called PlayStation, and your account is still banned... sorry, friend. It's time to make a new account.
What to do with a permaban
If you have found yourself in a position where you're permanently banned then you may be out of luck. From everything I've heard, only the most severe offenses justify permanent banning from the network. However, if you're certain that your suspension or banning was made erroneously, then your best course of action is to call PSN support.
The most effective advice I can give is to be patient and gracious with your representative to the best of your ability. I know it can be infuriating but for the most part, the old saying about catching flies with honey remains true. Be polite, yet persistent and hopefully you'll see a resolution in your favor.
PlayStation support number: 1-800-345-7669
Hopefully, you'll never see your PSN account on the receiving end of the ban hammer. From everything I have gleaned and experienced, the back-end of getting an account reinstated can be labyrinthine, exhausting, and torturous.
When you get back to PlayStation online
Make sure you try out these products to make your online PSN experience the best it possibly could be!
PlayStation Store Gift Card ($10 at Amazon)
PlayStation gift cards are an easy way to grab currency for games, add-ons, themes, and more, knowing that your payment will go through safely. They're also available in a wide variety of denominations, which is perfect to start saving up for PlayStation 5 games.
JIMAT Wireless Keypad ($21 at Amazon)
If you're a fan of the old-school keyboard extensions for PlayStation controllers, then the JIMAT is perfect for you. It's cheap, holds a battery well, connects via Bluetooth, and comes with a one-year warranty in case you experience any issues.
FiveEyes Gamepad Controller ($44 at Amazon)
By connecting your PlayStation account to the PS4 Second Screen app on your smartphone, you can truly make your gaming experience portable by using the second screen ability to play all your favorite games from your phone. With 12 hours of gameplay on this controller, you can afford quite the walk!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Take your PS4 gaming to new heights with these awesome arcade pads
Looking to step your game up in the world of fighting games? An arcade pad is one of the best ways you can slay the competition.
Get the PS4 lover in your life the best gift
If you have someone in your life that lives or dies by their PlayStation 4, these gift ideas may make you their favorite person this year.
The best external hard drives for the PlayStation 4
You can expand the storage on your PlayStation 4 now, without opening the body and voiding the warranty. All you need is a decent hard drive to plug in.