Those of us who have felt the crushing weight of the ban hammer come down upon our fragile skulls know the pain it can cause. There are few things as sad as pulling up to your favorite digital hangout only to find that you are no longer allowed inside. If you've turned on your PlayStation 4 and discovered that you've been banned from the PlayStation Network, then take a look at the advice below.
Identify your error messages
If you cannot connect to the PSN you will be provided with an error message. While the details given are somewhat sparse, it can give you an idea of where you stand. Start by writing down your error message and comparing it to the list below.
- 8002A227: You cannot use PlayStation®Network with this account.
- 8002A231: Your PlayStation®Network account has been suspended.
- 80710016: For more information, go to WS-37397 Error Code (most often means PSN doesn't like something about your IP).
- WS-37337-3: This PSN account has been temporarily suspended.
- WS-37368-7: This PSN account has been banned.
- WS-37338-4: This PS4 console has been permanently banned from the PlayStation Network.
- WS-37397-9: Connection Error. For more information, go to WS-37397 Error Code (most often means PSN doesn't like something about your IP).
What to do if your account was banned or suspended
If your error code matches up to a suspension or a ban from the list above here are your options.
- Go to the PlayStation website to check what rules from the ToS (Terms of Service) you may have broken.
- Check your bank. PlayStation Network has a near zero-tolerance stance on being owed money.
- If you find yourself temporarily banned from the PlayStation Network and you recently asked your bank to stop all payments or your account is empty, then that could be your problem.
- Try signing in on a different PlayStation 4 or on a browser from your phone or computer.
- If you can sign in there, but not your console, the issue may be with your PlayStation and not your account.
- Give PlayStation a call at 1-800-345-7669.
If you've checked the ToS, are up to date on your payments, called PlayStation, and your account is still banned... sorry, friend. It's time to make a new account.
What to do with a permaban
If you have found yourself in a position where you're permanently banned then you may be out of luck. From everything I've heard, only the most severe offenses justify permanent banning from the network. However, if you're certain that your suspension or banning was made erroneously, then your best course of action is to call PSN support.
The most effective advice I can give is to be patient and gracious with your representative to the best of your ability. I know it can be infuriating but for the most part, the old saying about catching flies with honey remains true. Be polite, yet persistent and hopefully you'll see a resolution in your favor.
PlayStation support number: 1-800-345-7669
Hopefully, you'll never see your PSN account on the receiving end of the ban hammer. From everything I have gleaned and experienced, the back-end of getting an account reinstated can be labyrinthine, exhausting, and torturous.
When you get back to PlayStation online
Make sure you try out these products to make your online PSN experience the best it possibly could be!
Mini Wireless Keyboard, Fosmon Portable ($26 at Amazon)
This compact keyboard connects via Bluetooth 3.0 to your PC/Macintosh laptops and computers, smartphones, tablets, HDTVs, PlayStations, Xbox, and Apple TVs. You can use the backlit keys to type commands or the hand touchpad to access the same features a DualShock 4 controller. Charging is easy and you shouldn't have to worry too much about it — it takes 10-50 days before you'll need to recharge.
JIMAT Wireless Keypad ($17 at Amazon)
If you're more of a fan of the old-school keyboard extensions for PlayStation controllers, then the JIMAT is perfect for you. It's cheap, holds a battery well, connects via Bluetooth, and comes with a one-year warranty in case you experience any issues.
FiveEyes Gamepad Controller ($44 at Amazon)
By connecting your PlayStation account to the PlayStation app on your smartphone you can truly make your gaming experience portable by using the second screen ability to play all your favorite games from your phone. With 12 hours of gameplay on this controller, you can afford quite the walk!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Game sans controller with these PS4 keyboards
Are you in the market for a keyboard to control your PlayStation 4? Check these out!
It's you versus the world in these great Battle Royale games for the PS4
Are you looking to smash the competition in a battle royale styled game? Here are some of the options available on PS4.
Here are the best open world games on PlayStation 4
Open world games are growing more popular by the day despite players' dwindling time to put in the hours necessary to complete them. They're just that good. Here are some of the very best open world games on PlayStation 4.