CES 2015 has officially begun! That's right, the biggest tech-stravaganza of the year is under way, and if you thought all the big announcements happened yesterday… well, you're wrong. There was more today, and there'll be more tomorrow. This is how CES goes.
Phones phones phones!
The big day of CES announcements maybe have been the day before, but there was plenty of Android smartphone news to check out. We finally got to go hands-on with the camera-crazy Panasonic CM-1 and Sony's brand new wildly-expensive Walkman. On the other end of the spectrum was the cute/creepy LG AKA, Samsung's new Galaxy A3 and A5, and the ZTE Grand X Max+.
- Hands-on with the ZTE Grand X Max+
- Hands-on with Samsung's new Galaxy A5 and A3
- Hands-on with the Sony Walkman NW-ZX2: $1119 of Android-powered music player
- Camera, or phone? Panasonic's Lumix CM1 aims to be both with little compromise
- The LG AKA: Cute? Creepy? I don't care, I want one
The Dell Venue 8 7000 runs Android 4.4.4 KitKat, has an impressive HD OLED display, and an interesting 3D-sensing camera. But the most interesting stat is probably the smallest: it's just 6mm thin and bears supremely-skinny bezels on the top and sides. We've been waiting to get our hands on the Venue 8 7000, and it did not disappoint.
- Hands-on with Dell's crazy thin Venue 8 7000 tablet
Thin, powerful, eye-popping portables from Dell and Lenovo
If this is the post-PC world, nobody told the PC makers. Dell was on-hand showing off their updated XPS 15 with an eye-popping 4K display and the XPS 13 with one of, if not the, slimmest bezels we've ever seen. The absurdly-thin Lenovo LaVie also made its first appearance, and Lenovo showed off new handwriting software and a new technology that accepts almost any pointer as a stylus, even a carrot.
- Dell blows us away with their near bezel-less XPS 13 Ultrabook
- Dell renews their powerhouse XPS 15 laptop with a stunning 4K display
- Eyes-on with the beastly new Alienware 17 gaming laptop
- Dell launches several new Windows laptops and PCs, curved monitor, at CES 2015
- The world's lightest Ultrabook you have never heard of is coming to North America this May
- Lenovo's unannounced handwriting tool for Windows is kind of amazing
- AnyPen tech by Lenovo lets you use a carrot as a stylus
Sharp's new UB and UH 4K TVs will run Android TV. So far we've only had Android TV in regular old 1080p HD, so this is 2160p UHD. The TVs include a remote control with mic and trackpad, and also support Bluetooth controllers.
- Here are the first Sharp TVs running Android TV
Now it doesn't have to come built-in
Android Auto will soon be available for your own car, at least is the makers of replacement stereo units have anything to say about it. Both Pioneer and Panasonic had Android Auto-compatible dash units on display, and Pioneer will even be adding the functionality to older units in an update this March. Not to be outdone, Ford was also on hand to show off their new Sync 3 infotainment system.
- Hands-on with Ford Sync 3 at #CES2015
- iHeartRadio announces partnership with QNX and more at CES 2015
These are the best Android phones you can buy right now
There are so many great Android phones to buy, so it can be tough to know which one to buy. These are the best of the best at each price point.
Microsoft doesn't need to justify the existence of the Surface Duo
Some people, including our Andrew Martonik, think Microsoft shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt with the Surface Duo. This guest editorial from SomeGadgetGuy's Juan Carlos Bagnell disagrees.
Far Cry 6 starring Giancarlo Esposito has leaked and it's coming in 2021
A listing on the Hong Kong PlayStation Store has leaked the existence of Far Cry 6 starring Giancarlo Esposito. The game's release date is set for February 18, 2021 according to the listing.
With a phone as beautiful as the LG Velvet, you'll want to get a great case
It can be tough to find a great case for a new phone, especially for a phone with a unique and wonderful design like the LG Velvet. But thankfully, there are a lot of solid case choices out there and these are our favorites to keep your LG Velvet safe from when "life happens".