Action Launcher today has dropped Version 1.8 on us in Google Play, bringing with it a few welcomed improvements. You're now able to choose which widget you want associated with a Shutter action (that's the one where you swipe an app icon to open its widget), which gives you far better control over what's being shown. It also lets you associate any widget with any icon, whether or not it actually is supposed to have a widget. Neat trick.
And because of the way that works, you're now able to use Shutters with Ice Cream Sandwich devices. More backward compatibility is always a good thing.
Look for the Action Launcher update in Google Play any time now (hit the link above, or just go to Google Play, where it should be listed as a Featured App soon), and be sure to check to the changelog and demo video after the break.
Action Launcher v1.8 changelog
- NEW: The widget displayed on a shutter can be changed by clicking 'Change widget' on the shutter's popup menu.
- NEW: Any app shortcut can be configured as a shutter, whether that app has a widget or not. Just pick up and put down the shortcut in the same grid location, then select 'Create shutter' from the popup menu.
- NEW: Shutters are available for Ice Cream Sandwich users. Given ICS's restrictive widget APIs, users are required to select the widget to display in a shutter, but this is better than nothing.
- NEW: Increase the max grid size to 12x12 for phones and tablets.
- NEW: Add the ability to scale the size of Home screen icons.
- NEW: Desktop layouts can be backed up and restored to and from an SD card.
- NEW: When importing a layout, display a 'SD card backup' import option.
- NEW: If an SD card backup exists, assume this is a returning user and don't display the tutorial on the app's first run.
- NEW: Swiping up on a Home screen will reveal the Recents window.
- NEW: Added a donate option (as requested by multiple people).
- NEW: Sense layouts can be imported.
- CHANGE: Reorganize the sections in the settings. Quickdrawer, Home screens, and Dock now all have their own dedicated settings pages.
- CHANGE: Shutters have graduated out of Labs and into the Display settings group.
- BUG FIX: Adjusting the grid size no longer radically adjusts the height of the Home screens.
- BUG FIX: Swiping down to open the notification window works on HTC One devices running Android 4.1.
- BUG FIX: The bundled Stock Jelly Bean icon pack correctly applies for the HTC Phone app.
One of the best Windows laptops is $550 right now — and stock is limited
Buying a laptop isn't an easy decision, but it's one that's slightly easier on weeks like this — on Black Friday. The Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 has been heralded as one of the best laptops on the market by practically every site that ranks these kinds of things, ourselves included, and there's a brand new reason to pick it up. Today only, the XPS 13 2-in-1 with Intel 10th Gen CPUs are up to $...
Why it’s worth spending more on faster SD cards on Black Friday
To make the most of any camera, whether it be the one on your phone or one in a security cam or even a drone, you'll want to buy a fast SD card. Here's why.
Cards against Humanity and Exploding Kittens on sale for Black Friday
Some of the best card games and board games are on sale today for Black Friday. If you don't have them already, you should definitely check out Cards Against Humanity and Exploding Kittens.
Get the most out of these smart devices and services with Google Assistant
The Google Assistant is the most useful smart voice assistant for getting your questions answered and keeping track of your digital life, but it's also great at helping you control your smart home devices and services.