The unapologetic first impressions after 10 minutes of use
From time to time we review phones here at AC. Some of us are really good at it, with a fine eye for detail, some of us have used so many phones, we have an excellent idea of how they compare to each other, and some of us think a bit differently and look at things normal people wouldn't think to. That's how we roll, and I think it makes for a great mix, especially when more than one of us get to look at the same phone.
- This thing is fast. It's the first phone running stock software that's faster than anything else out there. Faster than the Galaxy S3, faster than the Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.2, and faster than the One X with HTC's UI-focused multitasking.
- The screen. Yes, it's as good as the One X, and that's saying a lot.
- The back "glass". I can't describe it any better than Phil can, but when you hold it you know it feels like glass but isn't really glass. And it survives a four foot drop-test on the hardwood floor (don't look Sprint) with nary a scratch or ding.
- The notification icons tell you how many unread you have with a red bubble. A subtle, yet meaningful touch that Google totally needs to steal.
The fake chrome ring around the edge isn't flush, and you feel it when you rub your thumb across it.Or not. See here for more.
- Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean coming soon doesn't cut it with me.
- The ultra colorful UI. Tone that down a bit, please.
I'm rubbing my thumb across that trim ring again, so I had to mention it twice.
- 78 kbps 3G speeds from Sprint
I've put all my other toys away and will be using the G exclusively, look for more soon.
- Related devices: