Wireless service powers: Activate!
If you bought your Verizon phone online, it won't be activated when you receive it. There are three ways to do so: head into the nearest Verizon store or either of the two options we discuss below, which are quicker and save you a trip!
How to activate your Verizon phone online
In order to activate your phone online, you'll need a My Verizon account.
Navigating through the initial setup
- Click Activate, Switch or Bring Your Own Device on the My Verizon website.
- Click Activate a Device on an Existing Line.
- Click the line on which you want to activate your new phone.
Checking your device for compatibility
Verizon will check your phone to see if it is compatible with your line and your current plan.
- Click the option that fits your situation:
- Yes: Choose this if you've used this device on your account before.
- No: Choose this if this is the first time you're setting up this device with your account.
- Type your Device ID.
- Click Check Device.
Authorizing the activation
For security purposes, Verizon will text you a code on the phone you are activating.
- Click the phone you want the code sent to.
- Click Text Me the Code.
- Type the code from the text message into the Online Authorization Code field
- Click Confirm.
Checking the SIM card
If you need help locating your SIM card and locating the ID number, click Finding Your SIM Card and SIM ID. You can also order a new SIM card if you need to by clicking Add to Cart.
- Type your SIM ID number.
- Click Check ID.
- Click Confirm to approve your changes.
That's it. You've activated your new device.
How to activate your Verizon phone via telephone
If you don't feel comfortable activating your phone online, you can also activate it by phone. You'll need your SIM card, your receipt, and of course, your phone handy.
- Dial (877) 807-4646 from any phone.
- Follow the prompts to activate your wireless service.
- Insert the SIM card into your new device. The insertion procedure varies from device to device, so be sure to consult with the user guide you received with your device.
- Insert the battery.
- Insert the cover on the back of your device.
- Charge your device.
That's it. Your device is activated and ready to use.