You've got the new phone, now we're going to show you how to get up and running
So, you just got a new Android smartphone — that's pretty exciting! But once the initial awe of this new gadget wears off, you realize you actually need to use that phone. For those of us who read (and write for) Android Central regularly a new phone isn't such a big deal, but if you've just received your first Android phone it can be a bit daunting.
But that's what we're here for — with a little research you'll have your new Android up and running, and you'll be a pro in no time at all. Read along with us and see the first things you need to do with your new phone.
Where to get started
- First thing's first — you'll need a Google Account to get started with your Android phone. If you have Gmail you have a Google Account already, and if not you can make one either online or when you first set up your phone. This single account unleashes the power of Google Play for apps, but also Gmail, YouTube and sync in Chrome.
- Just as important, let's talk about security. Set up Android Device Manager so you can keep your data safe if your phone is lost or stolen.
- Coming from an iPhone? You'll probably want to know how to get your iTunes music over onto Android.
- Once the music is on the device, check out our favorite music player apps.
- Don't care for the look of your phone's software? Consider a third-party launcher to customize things a bit.
- You'll probably spend some time in Google Play grabbing some new apps. Check out our app reviews for information, read our weekly list of app picks every Sunday to see what we're all using and browse the app gallery for all of the apps we recommend.
- For further learning, read all of the basic help and how-to posts we've written on our main How To page.
Where to ask for some help
We have a fantastic and vibrant community in our forums talking all things Android on a daily basis, and we'd love to have you join us! We have forums for all of the major devices — Nexus, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG and Sony, some of the lesser-known stuff, and everything in between. You can even just go browse at your leisure, or maybe introduce yourself and get into the conversation.
Get to know us here at AC
We're all about bringing you the latest news, device reviews and help for the devices you use every day, but we also like to give our opinions and tell you a bit about ourselves from time to time. Our Editor in Chief Phil gives us an update with his weekly column, while each of the writers here chimes in with an editorial now and then.
Perhaps the best way to get to know the folks here at AC is to listen to our weekly podcast, where we wrap up the week's news and talk about what's going on in the Android world. Going a step further, you can even watch it live — and interact with Hangouts Q&A — as we record at 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT every Friday, with slight changes when our schedule is full.
After spending a little time with your new phone and the appropriate resources here, you'll be off to a running start enjoying your new device and the world of Android. Welcome!