New tools include Smart Video, Dual Camera and Pause & Resume Recording
Update: detailed software information and what is needed to update have been added after the break.
LG Optimus G Pro owners on AT&T should be on the lookout -- an over-the-air update is coming your way. Dubbed the 'Value Pack,' this update brings features very reminiscent of another popular flagship phone. We've been expecting this update for a few months, so it's good to hear the rollout has begun. New features are detailed as follows:
- Smart Video intelligently recognizes the position of a user's eyes, automatically pausing the video when the user looks away and then restarting it once they resume active viewing.
- Dual Camera, an extension of the Dual Recording feature, lets users simultaneously capture photos of the subject and the shooter using both the front and back cameras for a picture-in-picture composition, so both sides of an experience are snapped and saved.
- Pause & Resume Recording allows user to pause video in record mode and then restart the recording to create one continuous video file.
Enhanced Quick Remote Function:
- Magic Remote Pad is designed to work with LG Smart TVs released in 2012 and after, allowing for smoother, more intuitive navigation.
- Text Keypad transforms LG Optimus G Pro into a convenient input device for LG Smart TVs.
New and improved communication and notification functions:
- The HomeButton LED now also gives users the ability to customize alerts as well as the LED color of notifications from their favorite contacts.
- Additionally, users can now select from 800 color emoticons when texting or emailing.
Also note: updates of this nature usually go out in waves, so don't despair if you don't see the update notification immediately. To see how widespread the update rollout is at this point -- and the good/bad/ugly of the update itself -- check in with other Optimus G Pro owners in the forums.
It appears the rollout is underway, as we just got our first report of a reader receiving the update. He was kind enough to send us a screenshot of the Software information screen:
No change in Android version, the Baseband version is APQ8064/MDM9x15M, Kernel version 3.4.0, Build number JZO54K, and the Software version has been bumped up to E98010k. The update is reportedly 65MB, and requires users be on WiFI to download it. Thanks TIm R!
Luna is both a safe bet and Amazon's best idea in years
Is "rolling your own" Netflix-style game library what we really want? Amazon thinks so.
Google's parent company settles shareholder lawsuit over sexual misconduct
Following sexual misconduct reports from 2018, Google has settled a shareholder lawsuit and announced major changes to how the company operates in these regards — including no severance packages for employees fired over sexual misconduct.
Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G won’t launch until weeks after September 30 event
Google’s announcing its new Pixel phones, the Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G, on September 30. Unfortunately, you’ll have to wait a while longer before they actually launch.
These are the best rugged Android phones
Living the rough and tumble life? Get yourself a smartphone that can handle everything you throw at it — or throw your phone at.