What you need to know
- Microsoft Launcher version 5.5 is now available for beta testers.
- The update brings new features like adaptive icons that can be matched in shape and size, along with the ability to hide your dock.
- Other tweaks include adjustments for accessing shortcuts when your home screen is locked, faster Tasks card syncing, and more.
Microsoft today pushed out a new version of the Microsoft launcher beta for Android, bringing with it several new features. The update bumps the version number up to 5.5 and includes handy additions like adaptive icons and the ability to hide the dock on your home screen.
Adaptive icons are particularly interesting, as they allow you to assign one shape and size to all of your icons so they match across the system. Meanwhile, hiding your dock can save space while making it accessible with a swipe up from the bottom of your screen.
Here's a full look at the release notes for Microsoft Launcher beta 5.5:
- Adaptive Icons- Choose one icon shape for all your apps.
- Hidden Dock- It's back! You can set the dock to be hidden and still access apps and widgets.
- UX adjustments for accessing shortcuts when the home screen is locked.
- Get notification badges for calling and messaging apps without setting Microsoft Launcher as your default assistant. Set Launcher as your default assistant for better accuracy.
- Faster Tasks card syncing for MSA and work/school accounts.
This follows an update Microsoft Launcher received in April that added several new features, including a new design for the weather widget, better Microsoft To-Do integration, and much more.
These updates are available now for beta testers with an update available on Google Play. If you're not already a beta tester, you can opt in from Microsoft Launcher's Google Play page to test them out. Otherwise, Microsoft has been fairly consistent with quickly pushing new features to the release version, so they should arrive for everyone before long.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Samsung's foldable Galaxy Z Flip fully revealed in high-quality renders
Samsung's second folding phone — the Galaxy Z Flip — has been showcased in a bunch of new renders. We now have a clear vision of what the gadget looks like, and what features it'll bring to the table.
Everything you need to know about the upcoming Moto G8 family
Motorola's budget smartphone offerings for 2020 are shaping up to be quite impressive. Here's everything you need to know about the already-released Moto G8 Plus and G8 Play, along with what we know so far about the upcoming G8 and G8 Power.
Off-Facebook Activity rolling out to all users in the coming months
Facebook has announced that its new "Off-Facebook Activity" feature is now rolling out to all users.
These apps are the best way to consume news on your Android device
If you're keen on keeping up with the day's events on the go with your Android phone or tablet, then you'll want to check out these fine apps for news junkies.