What you need to know
- Instagram now supports integration with Facebook Messenger Rooms for video calling.
- It means you can launch a video call with up to 50 people directly from Instagram.
- Creating a room is simple, and can be found in the DMs section of the Instagram app.
Instagram has announced integration with Facebook's Messenger Rooms feature, which supports calls with up to 50 people. This means you can now launch video calls directly from within Instagram.
In a Tweet yesterday evening Instagram said:
An easy way to video chat with up to 50 of your favorite people? Yes please Starting today, you can create @messenger Rooms on Instagram and invite anyone to join
The new feature will support group calls of up to 50 people, significantly more than WhatsApp, and is based on integration with Facebook's own Messenger Rooms
To set up a Facebook Messenger Room within Instagram and invite people to join you, here's what you need to do (as per Instagram's video accompanying the announcement):
- Open Instagram, and select the Direct icon in the top right-hand corner. (It looks like a paper airplane, and is where your direct messages live)
- Select the camera icon in the top right-hand corner.
- Tap the 'Create a Room' banner at the top of the screen, it has a blue icon and says "Send a Link to video chat with anyone, even if they don't have Instagram"
- Select the blue 'Create Room as (your name) at the bottom of the screen.
- Simply select all the people you would like to invite into your room, a blue tick will highlight next to their name.
- Press 'Send' at the bottom of the screen.
- You can then select to 'Join Room', which will take you out of Instagram and into Facebook Messenger. (You can also share the room at this stage)
As you'll have noticed, this method takes you out of Instagram, so you'll need Facebook Messenger installed on your phone. This isn't video chatting within Instagram per se, but rather integration to start a Facebook Messenger Room.
Instagram didn't comment on the rollout timeframe for the new feature, and we can confirm it doesn't look to be available in the UK just yet, so keep your eyes peeled for a potential update or a server-side change to the app.
Everything you need to know about the Galaxy Z Fold 2!
The first Galaxy Fold was one of the most impressive smartphones of recent years, and now, Samsung's following up on it with the Galaxy Z Fold 2. Here's everything you need to know about it!
The Pixel 4a is here, and we’ve rounded up everything you need to know
The Pixel 4a is now available, and we've rounded up all the reasons to be excited about this incredible budget handset. Here's everything you need to know about it!
Sony mislead its audience by not revealing which PS5 games are on PS4
Sony marketed several major titles such as Horizon Forbidden West as PS5 games, despite PS4 versions also being in development. We don't know if it's intentional or not, but it's bad for the consumer.
The best replacement bands for your 46mm Galaxy Watch
The strap included with the Galaxy Watch is fine, but these offer much more customization. Not only do these straps offer you the chance to change up the style of your watch, but you also get materials that bring added durability for a strap that can take what you throw at it.