Let's keep things a little light for this week's column, shall we? Probably the biggest news of note is that we're going to start doing more series work. That is, we'll take a specific topic and do more cohesive coverage of it, instead of shotgunning stories here and there throughout the year. It's the right way to do it, and so that's how we're going to do things going forward, especially when it comes to non-device content.
That said, we're starting with a device this week, though not in the traditional phone-or-tablet sense. Any guesses as to what it might be?
And that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's great to see that folks are enjoying Shen Ye's Futurology series. (Check out Part 1 on batteries and Part 2 on displays.) We're hoping to have Part 3 ready later this week. (Anyone still want to complain that we only focus on the folks new to Android?) We've got some more cool series on the way as well. Stay tuned.
And, of course, we're going to get way in deep on all the new phones that are about to hit. Nothing's going to get in the way of that.
So with that, a few other thoughts on the week that was.
- It pretty much sounds like business as usual regarding this whole Samsung/Snapdragon 810 thing. I'd much rather something fail in testing than after commercial release. (That's what testing is for, after all.) And it's important to remember that there's not one single Snapdragon 810 that all the manufacturers will use. That a "new version" may be used is not surprising.
- Will any of that push back the commercial release of the Galaxy S6? (Which, remember, has yet to be announced ...) Who knows.
- The official folio cover for the Dell Venue 8 7840 is an abomination. I might write something on it later this week, if I can stomach it.
- I get that lists like this are really just a sort of marketing ploy, but damned if it doesn't feel good to be sandwiched between The Verge and Spotify.
- And a good bit of the credit for Android Central's growth goes to the moderators and advisers in the forums. Their jobs are thankless (and mostly volunteer), but this site wouldn't be what it is without them.
- That HTC One M9 leak from Phandroid looks a little more legit now with more pics. I'm starting to get serious excited about the prospect of an M8-like phone with better optics.
That's it for this week. See y'all Monday.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.