Is there anything more boring than a wireless operator in the United States? Here we are again with the virtually simultaneous releases of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 — two phones that give us a lot of reasons to be excited. But the colors available here in the U.S., sadly, are not one of them.
To be fair, HTC's usual MO is to do the safe stuff first — in this case silver, black and gold — before branching out with exclusive colors. But this is the second year in a row we've seen Samsung do some truly gorgeous hue — I was in love with the blue for the GS5 — only to have them left behind at the border. Same goes for blue and green this year.
For as much as we have to settle on with phones these days — never mind the catchphrases to the contrary — color shouldn't be one of them.
A couple other quick thoughts on the week that was:
- A quick reminder that the review of a phone really is just the start of our coverage. We've got loads more on the ins and outs of the GS6 and M9 coming up.
- So if you're prepping your "Samsung Central" comment, stow it. This is what we do. And we do it better than anyone.
- One last thought on the Snapdragon 810 stuff before I really quit worrying about it — consider what's different about the 810. Not what's "wrong." That answer will ultimately be more important anyway.
- Congrats to Cali & Co. on the launch of Geeks Life.
- It's fun to make the local paper now that I no longer literally make the local paper. Got interviewed for a nice little story about the resurgence of the historical neighborhood my office is in.
- We spend a lot of time on airplanes for this job. And the Germanwings crash in France was a tragic act of mental illness, plain and simple. As much as I want to be angry about it — which does absolutely no good for anyone — it's another reminder of the importance of mental health, and that we need to help each other get help instead of pushing folks away.
- I have zero reservations about stepping foot on my next flight. None. The aviation industry, for all its faults, is still amazing. And that starts with the people long before it gets to the planes.
I'll keep things short this week and end on that happy note. Be good to each other.
These are the best Android phones you can buy right now
There are so many great Android phones to buy, so it can be tough to know which one to buy. These are the best of the best at each price point.
The Pixel 4a is here, and we’ve rounded up everything you need to know
The Pixel 4a is coming on August 20, and we’re rounding up all the reasons to be excited about this incredible budget handset.
With a single update, OnePlus ruined OxygenOS for me
OnePlus is embarking on a new visual identity with OxygenOS 11, with the manufacturer switching away from stock Android and offering a UI that's similar to Samsung's One UI. Here's why I'm not on board with the new design.
Improve your game with these thumb grips for your PS4 controller
If someone ever tells you to "git gud" at a video game, don't sweat it. Pick yourself up a pair of thumb grips for your Playstation 4 controller and watch your game take off. These are the best ones you can find.