App Inventor now open to everyone
Google has announced that its popular (and fun) tool App Inventor is now open to anyone with a Google account. If you're not quite sure what App Inventor is exactly, don't feel too bad -- in typical Google fashion it's been a limited access tool, trickling out to users a few at a time. Think of it as a tool to create fun little apps, for people who have no idea how to create fun little apps. All you need to get started is a PC or Mac, an Android phone, and a Google account. And you'll want to visit and bookmark our App Inventor forum -- it's bound to get jumping now that anyone with a creative streak has access to the tools. There's a short demo after the break, and hit the source link to get started. [Google Research Blog]
YouTube link for mobile viewing
Get the Android Central Newsletter
Instant access to breaking news, the hottest reviews, great deals and helpful tips.
Jerry is an amateur woodworker and struggling shade tree mechanic. There's nothing he can't take apart, but many things he can't reassemble. You'll find him writing and speaking his loud opinion on Android Central and occasionally on Twitter.
* Macintosh (with Intel processor): Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6
* Windows: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
* GNU/Linux: Ubuntu 8+, Debian 5+ (or equiv) Browser
* Mozilla Firefox 3.6 or higher
* Apple Safari 5.0 or higher
* Google Chrome 4.0 or higher
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher Your computer needs to run Java 6 (also known as Java 1.6).