Home screens on the Samsung Galaxy S III (S3) are very configurable; you can even delete complete Home screens and add brand new ones.
Out of the box, the Galaxy S3 comes with seven home screens. As we have learned, you can customize each screen with App icons and widgets and really tailor make each page to better suit the way you use the phone.
One great feature is that you can delete complete Home screens and start over and add new ones. You can then rearrange your Home screens so that what you need is available in exactly the way you desire.
Getting to the Home screen edit screen
The first step to deleting and adding new Home screens is to get to the Home screen-editing screen on the Galaxy S3.
Go to any Home screen and long press – (touch and hold) the screen
- Choose Add to Home screen
- Touch the Page tab
- All of your Home screens are now displayed and can be edited, deleted or rearranged.
Deleting a Home screen
To delete a Home screen, just pick the screen from the seven now shown on the phone and drag it to the Trashcan icon. Confirm the delete on the next screen and the screen is now deleted.
Adding a new Home screen
You will now notice in the place of the deleted screen is a blank screen with a (+) indicated. Simply touch the blank screen with the (+) icon and a new, blank screen will be placed on the Home screen editing screen. You can now add App icons and widgets to the new Home screen.
Rearranging Home screens
Once you are set with your seven Home screens, you can rearrange them in any order you wish. The screen in the middle is usually the default Home screen to which the phone will immediately go to when turned on. The screens to the right and left are the screens you would normally swipe to on the left or right of the default screen, which is in the middle. To rearrange Home screens:
- Touch and hold any of the Home screens
- Drag it to its new place – either next to the Default screen or in another location
- Confirm the new placement by exiting from the editing mode and swiping through Home screens
Changing the Default Home screen
The usual Default Home screen has the Clock/Weather widget at the top. If this is not the screen that you wish to make “default” you can easily change that. In this example, I want to make the screen with my Flipboard widget my default screen.
- Notice the House icon in the upper right of each Home screen
- Touch the House icon on the screen you wish to become the Default screen
- The house icon turns blue on the new screen
- A message is displayed that the Default Home screen has been changed
Play around with this a bit. With a little bit of experimentation, you can really make your Galaxy S3 your own. Each Home screen can really reflect the way you want to use your phone and can appear in the order you want them to as you swipe through your Home screens.
- Related devices: