Online multiplayer on PlayStation 4 usually requires two things: a stable internet connection and a PlayStation Plus membership. If you don't have both, you probably won't be able to play online games with your friends. There are two exceptions: free-to-play games, like Fortnite, don't require you to need PlayStation Plus to play online multiplayer. You'll also be able to play any multiplayer games included with PlayStation Now when you're signed up for that service, even if you don't have a PlayStation Plus subscription.
Products used in this guide
- Online membership: PlayStation Plus 12-month ($60 at Amazon)
- Direct connection: Cat 7 Ethernet Cable ($10 at Amazon)
How to connect to Wi-Fi on PlayStation 4
- From the home screen, go to Settings.
- Scroll down to Network.
- Select Set Up Internet Connection.
- Select either Use Wi-Fi or Use Lan Cable.
- If using Wi-Fi, select your Wi-Fi network and enter your Wi-Fi password as prompted.
- If using a LAN cable, connect it to the back of your PS4 and router.
How to redeem a PlayStation Plus membership
Now that you're connected you need to make sure your PS Plus membership is on and ready. If you need to redeem your membership still here's how to do it.
- From the home screen, select the PlayStation Store.
- Scroll all the way down the left menu and select Redeem Codes.
- Enter the code you were provided with your purchase of your PlayStation Plus membership.
- Select Continue.
- Select Confirm after the Terms of Service.
- Select Continue once more to complete the process.
So long as you're connected to the internet and have an active PlayStation Plus subscription, you won't need to do anything special in order to play online multiplayer. Just pick whichever game you want and you should be able to join in on the multiplayer fun from one of its menus.
PlayStation Plus 12-month
Unless your playing a free-to-play game, you'll almost always need a PlayStation Plus membership to play online multiplayer. Pick up a 12-month membership and hop into your favorite games while enjoying other member benefits like two free games each month.
Plug it in
Cat 7 Ethernet Cable
For a more stable connection
Wi-Fi isn't always the most reliable, so use an Ethernet cable to connect your PlayStation 4 directly to your internet router, giving you the best speeds possible depending on your ISP and plan.
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.