Daniel Bader, Andrew Martonik, Russell Holly, and Jerry Hildenbrand convene to talk about LG, the death of Google Now as Google Assistant takes its place, and the race for mindshare in the voice assistant and smart speaker market.
They also tackle the latest rumors and leaks of the Galaxy S9, which is set to launch February 25th. Join us!
Show Notes and Links:
- The U.S. smartphone industry has an LG problem
- LG says G7 is 'on schedule', will be announced 'when the time is right'
- Google Now is now useless, and we have Google Assistant to thank for it
- Apple HomePod is finally coming, and does almost nothing
- Samsung Galaxy S9 launch event set for Feb 25: 'The camera. Reimagined.'
- The Galaxy A8+ gives us an early look at Galaxy S9 design cues
- Samsung Galaxy S9 appears in clearest render yet
- Samsung Galaxy S9 supposedly shows up in hands-on video
- Thrifter.com: All the best deals from Amazon, Best Buy, and more, fussily curated and constantly updated.
- GameStash: Hundreds of awesome games on your Android phone. Try it free for 14 days!
Have you listened to this week's Android Central Podcast?
Every week, the Android Central Podcast brings you the latest tech news, analysis and hot takes, with familiar co-hosts and special guests.
1) https://www.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.anrdoezrs.net%2Flinks%2F100048248%2Ftype%2Fdlg%2Fsid%2FUUacUdUcU1940184%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fmusic%2Flisten%3Fu%3D0%23%2Falbum%2FB67mbxgyvgf5lkxu6jvfaepzcv4%2FJohnny%2BCash%2FUnearthed&token=yoNI4Fq5 2) https://www.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.anrdoezrs.net%2Flinks%2F100048248%2Ftype%2Fdlg%2Fsid%2FUUacUdUcU1940184%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fmusic%2Flisten%3Fu%3D0%23%2Falbum%2FBkid5jwzouydxrjorhl3mujzh7u&token=wPU3emPx My work here is done.
Fun fact, "Unearthed" was the first box set I bought. I'm desperate for a vinyl release of it so I can display it alongside the other American albums.
Jerry, you're the bestest. *tips hat*
Yes! Love the boy's, thank you ALL for the podcast, kind regards Richard U.K
What is getting bleeped out? It's driving me nuts trying to figure out why! Did I miss something?
I think they said ********. Or maybe ********?
It's when they say "Alexa" or "hey Siri", so they don't activate people's assistants. What's disturbing is that it's apparently less work to go through and censor the recording than it is to deal with the emails complaining about it lol.
Still don't get the trash talk on Bixby. Sure if GA could do any of the things I use Bixby for then yes, I would probably use GA fully but since GA can't control my phone, Bixby is my go to. If I need context from the world, then I use GA. Pretty simple.
On Jerry's point about assistant naming, Cortana is the worst by far. It's the best, coolest name, but it sets an unrealistic expectation for anyone familiar with the "actual" Cortana.
Just out of curiosity, did Play Music make you change the name of the podcast because it had 'Johnny Cash' in the title?
On the calendar cards being removed from your Google Feed, that coincided with Google adding a calendar reminder to the weather widget on the Pixel Launcher home screen. I guess they considered it redundant.
I laughed when you guys censored the A word. (Alexa) LOL
Raspberry Beret is mostly unknown because you'll only find their kind on second hand stores. 😎
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.