What you need to know
- A new Life is Strange was announced during Square Enix Presents.
- It stars an entirely new protagonist who has the power to absorb other people's emotions.
- Deck Nine, the developer behind Life is Strange: Before the Storm, is helming this project.
- Life is Strange: True Colors is set to release on Sept. 10, 2021 for PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC.
- The Ultimate Edition of True Colors will come with Life is Strange Remastered, which includes the first game and Before the Storm.
Update: We've adjusted the title and added information now that the announcement official.
During today's Square Enix Presents, the company announced Life is Strange: True Colors, the next entry in the beloved franchise. The game's Twitter account has been teasing this announcement for a few days now, only revealing at the time that it'd feature a new cast, story, and power. The protagonist is Alex Chen, who has the psychic power of Empathy, the ability to absorb the emotions of others. Players will have to uncover the truth behind the death of her brother.
The original Life is Strange is widely regarded as one of the best episodic adventures ever made, partly because of its main characters, Max and Chloe. If True Colors wants to give it a run for its money and possibly become one of the best PS5 games, it'll need to create a compelling cast of characters that people fall in love with. This new title may also just be one game, not an episodic story.
Though it isn't being developed by Dontnod, which led development on Life is Strange and Life is Strange 2, Deck Nine did a commendable job on Before the Storm. Though it wasn't as critically acclaimed, it did let the studio get its feet wet with the franchise, so to speak.
Life is Strange: True Colors is expected to release on Sept. 10, 2021 for PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, Stadia and PC. In a surprising turn of events, the full game will be available on September 10 with players able to swap between chapters that day.