What you need to know
- The Elder Scrolls: Blades is a pay-to-win game in its current state.
- Bethesda is aware of this and has vowed to tweak the title.
- It'll be easier to acquire currency and powerful items in the future.
- An upcoming update with story content will be revealed during E3 2019.
Between Fallout 76 and The Elder Scrolls: Blades, Bethesda is having a hard time delivering a balanced experience from the get-go. While the "AAA" open-world adventure was plagued with performance issues and other problems, The Elder Scrolls: Blades is technically polished on Android and iOS. However, it's loaded with pay-to-win microtransactions, underwhelming loot, and offers sparse rewards. On many occasions, you'll be forced to buy a legendary item for $10 because it's impossible to succeed in missions without acquiring better gear.
Bethesda is aware of how gamers feel about The Elder Scrolls: Blades, and has vowed to address the issue of balancing and rewards. The developer said the following on its website.
In this inaugural monthly edition, we will share new details on what's coming up for The Elder Scrolls: Blades. We can't tell you how much we appreciate the abundance of feedback you've given us since early access began. We want you to know that your feedback directly influences how we tweak, revise, and adapt the game to be a smoother experience. We've reduced silver chest timers to one hour, rebalanced direct purchase offers, increased gem rewards for daily and weekly jobs, and added support for more devices… But we have even more coming up in future patches.
Hopefully this will result in meaningful changes soon. You can read about some of the upcoming tweaks below.
- Adjusting cost of repairing equipment: Repair costs are too high. The team is looking into ways to better balance how much it costs to repair items.
- Abyss balance adjustments at higher levels: The endless dungeon mode is impossible to play at higher levels. Bethesda is actively adjusting that balance to be a more fun and fair experience.
- Fixing job difficulty: Job difficulty indicators don't accurately represent difficulty. This will be fixed soon, and certain jobs should be easier.
- Adjusting enemy difficulty: Some enemies are too high in overall difficulty, and are able to perform attacks too quickly against players. This will be fixed.
Bethesda is also working on a massive update with more fan-requested changes, like jewelry and additional story content. More details about this should be revealed during the company's E3 2019 showcase on June 9.
Do you play The Elder Scrolls: Blades? What do you want the developer to add or fix immediately? Let us know.
Block and strike
Return to Tamriel
The Elder Scrolls: Blades is a free-to-play game from Bethesda Game Studios. Bethesda is the renowned publisher behind franchises like Doom, Fallout, Rage, and more. While the game is a radical departure for the series, there are still many similarities.
Get the most out of your Android gaming experience
SteelSeries Stratus Duo ($60 at Amazon)
A great Bluetooth controller for use with Android games that offer gamepad support that also includes a wireless USB dongle for gaming on PCs. Highly recommended!
Ventev Powercell 6010+ Portable USB-C Charger ($37 at Amazon)
This battery pack from Ventev is recommended so often because it's so compact and convenient. You get a built-in USB-C cord, built-in AC prong for charging the unit, and 6000mAh battery capacity.
Spigen Style Ring ($13 at Amazon)
Of all the phone mounts and kickstands we've tested, the most consistently reliable and sturdy is the original Spigen Style Ring. It also has a minimalist hook mount for your car's dashboard.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
OnePlus 8 review: More of the same, for $100 more
Just 6 months removed from the OnePlus 7T, the OnePlus 8 is here as the affordable mainstream option at a new higher price. Here's what it offers for that extra money, and where its value stands.
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra review: Too big to fail
Samsung's massive, beautiful and imposing Note 20 Ultra is one of the best phones ever made. But it's too damn pricey.
Everything you need to know about the PS5: Release date, price, and more
Sony has officially confirmed that it is working on the PlayStation 5. Here's everything we know about it so far.
Check out the hundreds of games available for the Oculus Quest 2
The Oculus Quest allows you to play VR games without requiring a PC, phone, or external sensors. Here's every game you can buy or download for free!