I’m a big podcast listener. On a given week, I’ll probably listen to at least several hours of podcasts during commutes and downtime. Due to this, I require a high quality podcast app for Android that makes managing and listening to the content that I enjoy simple and easy. I’ve been a fan of Doggcatcher for a long time. While it is more costly than the average app ($6.99), the amount of use I get from it makes the purchase more than worth it for me. While I love the app, I’m always searching for alternatives that provide different experiences. Pocket Casts is the best alternative I have found thus far and for half the price ($2.99), it’s a really good deal. It doesn’t have all of the functionality that Doggcatcher offers but it does just what you need it to do and the UI is better in my opinion.
Once you open Pocket Casts, you’ll see the the homescreen with five tabs along the bottom. The options are, from the left:
- Library: Displays all of the podcasts you have chosen to subscribe to.
- Now Playing: Shows you the artwork for the podcast that you are currently listening to
- Refresh: Will refresh your podcasts and display an aggregated list of all your subscriptions and the most recent episodes
- Search: Allows you to search or browse for podcasts that you enjoy. Options include ‘search by podcast name’ browse ‘popular podcasts’, ‘podcast networks’, ‘categories’ and ‘import’ if you know the url.
- Settings: The final button is where you can find the settings if you want to tweak the app to our liking. Options include the ability to set the amount of time the player skips ahead or backwards, whether to store the podcasts on the SD card or phone, and whether to auto-delete after you’re finished listening, among many others.
There is one more option up in the right hand corner when you’re in the Now Playing tab. The Playlist option allows you to create customized playlists if you know that you'll be listening to a variety of podcasts at one time.
Pocket Casts is a good podcast app with a very good UI. If you’re looking for an app that will manage your podcasts but don’t want to fork over $6.99, check out Shifty Jelly's app. Pocket Casts is available from the Android Market for $2.99. Links and more pictures after the break.
And don't forget to check out the Greatest Android Podcast in the World!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Samsung will give away Galaxy Buds+ with S20+ and S20 Ultra pre-orders
Samsung's Galaxy S20 series will be here before you know it, and when pre-orders open up, you'll be able to get your hands on the new Galaxy Buds+ for free.
How Microsoft is making sure dual-screen apps are done right
Microsoft is treating dual-screen devices the way they need to be treated — as a new platform.
Android AirDrop competitor Nearby Sharing gets shown off in hands-on video
Thanks to the guys over at XDA-Developers, we are getting a first look at Android's upcoming AirDrop competitor Nearby Sharing, formerly Fast Share.
These photo printers make it easy to print from your Android phone
Do you want to be able to print photos directly from your Android phone? Well, now it's easier than ever and we have found the best photo printers to choose from in 2019.