This is the home for the changelog for all versions of the official Android Central app, as published in Google Play.
v1.4.4 (Beta release Sept. 26, 2013)
- Fix for crashes.
v1.4.3 (Production release Sept. 5, 2013)
- Performance and stability improvements.
- Added option in the settings menu for screen transitions — fade, zoom or none.
v1.4.2 (Production release Aug. 25, 2013)
- More stability fixes.
- Moved the font size options to the settings menu, instead of in the article overflow menu.
v1.4.1 (Production release Aug. 22, 2013)
- Fixed up rare crash on login bug
- Small bug fixes and tweaks
v1.4 (Beta release Aug. 18, 2013, production release Aug. 21)
- New app icon.
- New visual design with pull to refresh: If you're using the default light design, you'll notice this first thing. It's a little more subtle on the dark theme.
- ZOMG COLORS IN THE MENU! If you like 'em, great! If you don't, they're just colors, man. It's cool.
- Switched to a drop-down menu for the various sections. (Among other things, makes it easier for us to add sections on the fly. It's different, but it's easy enough to get used to.)
- Added a dedicated Talk Mobile 2013 section.
- Improved performance and stability: Always a good thing.
- Interaction improvements to Talk Mobile articles.
- Ability to edit and delete article comments (within the same 15-minute window we impose on the web side)
- Podcasts download to internal "Podcasts" folder: That means they'll be picked up by MediaScanner, and so you can listen to them in your favorite music app.
v1.3 (Beta release July 14, 2013, production release July 16)
- Added forum search
- Added forum thread view options (go to first unread post vs. first post)
- Integrated the new Google navigation drawer — be aware that we'll implement some performance improvements to it in the next version. It's good now, but we can make it better.
- Integrated YouTube Android Player API (and look for the "fullscreen video" option in the settings, if that's your thing)
- Support for Talk Mobile articles
- Added the "Get it on Google Play" badge and links to match the blog look, removed the old button. (This will now work for just about anything on Google Play — not just apps.)
Added support for Quantcast and Flurry analytics — this required the addition of the "Access Network State" permission. We've used Quantcast on the traditional web side of things forever (http://www.quantcast.com/
androidcentral.com) as sort of a transparent look at traffic. Flurry gives us an anonymous look at how and where our app is being used, and it'll help us make the app better. More than 300,000 apps use Flurry analytics. You can find out more at http://www.flurry.com/ flurry-analytics.html.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes
v1.2.5 (Released June 17, 2013
- Fix for read and unread status in forums
- Widget now picks up theme preference
- Added refresh icon to forum thread lists (latest, participated, etc)
- Fix for login state persistence issues
- Fix crash in forums when touching header banner
v1.2 (Released June 11, 2013)
- Introducing a dark theme! Find it in the settings menu, under "Night mode." Might well become the default at some point.
- Read/unread status for forum threads. Its subtle, but it's there.
- Change font size in articles. (Look for it in the overflow menu for now.)
- Improved widget refresh
- Improved article scrolling
- Other small fixes and tweaks
v1.1.1 (Released May 16, 2013)
- Fix widget update errors
v1.1 (Released May 15, 2013)
- Widget support! Get the latest news posts on your home screen or your lock screen!
- Landscape support throughout the app. Because everybody gets a little sideways now and then.
- Support for Google Play store links in articles. (Hint: Look for the Google Play logo at the top of the story.
- Ability to use the pull-out side menu from all screens. (YES!)
- Other small bug fixes and tweaks. As in any good update.
v1.0 (Released May 7, 2013)
- Initial release
- Filed under: