NVIDIA has released another over-the-air update for its Android-powered Shield gaming handheld. The NVIDIA Shield December update enhances some of the features added in the previous October update, enabling 1080p resolution with 60 frames per second in "Gamestream" console mode when connected over Ethernet, as well as improving 720p/60fps performance over Wifi. And Gamestream has also been expanded to support new PC titles such as Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Batman: Arkham Origins, Battlefield 4, and Call of Duty: Ghosts.
The Gamepad Mapper feature has been augmented too, with a "community profiles" feature (in beta) allowing Shield owners to share gamepad mapping profiles. Gyro input can now be mapped to the analog thumbsticks, and the right thumbstick has been improved for use in first-person titles.
Finally, fullscreen mode has been updated with the option to auto-hide the status bar, and view it with a swipe-down gesture (similar to Android 4.4's immersive mode). These settings can be controlled via the "Display" menu in the Settings app.
All in all, a pretty significant update for Shield owners. We've got the full changelog after the break.
- Stream from your PC at up to 1080p @ 60 FPS in Console Mode when using Ethernet (via micro USB Ethernet adapter).
- Improved PC streaming quality at 720p @ 60 FPS and Wi-Fi performance.
Gamepad Mapper improvements
- New community profiles BETA feature – ability to share, browse, and rate gamepad mapping profiles.
- Ability to map gyro simulation to analog thumbsticks with new “motion sensor” feature.
- Improved right thumbstick features for first person perspective games that use touch swipes to look around.
- New “accelerated cursor” option for joystick mouse mode.
Full-screen mode updates
- Option to auto-hide status bar.
- View status bar with a swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Enable option from Settings > Display.
The latest Steve Aoki concert is even better in VR
Do you miss live concerts? Steve Aoki and Oculus are teaming up to help bring you an immersive live concert in VR on September 30 based on Neon Future IV, the 4th studio album launched earlier this year.
How to watch Google's Pixel 5 event livestream on September 30
Between new Pixel phones and an all-new Chromecast, we're expecting a few different hardware announcements from Google's "Launch Night In" event on Septemeber 30. Here's how you can tune-in and watch it!
Review: Until you Fall will punish you, but it's worth it
Until You Fall is a VR roguelite that'll challenge your skills with a blade, your wits, and your arm muscles. It's now available on the Oculus Quest, Oculus Quest 2, PlayStation VR (PSVR), and PC VR platforms including SteamVR and Oculus Rift.
These are the best cases for your Pixel 4a 5G
The Pixel 4a 5G looks boring in Just Black, but we can fix that! These cases are fun, fashionable, functional, and ready to carry your Pixel 4a 5G into the future.