HTC has confirmed to us that a maintenance update (3.70.651.1) is being pushed out to the Sprint Evo 4G as we type. No, it's not Gingerbread. Gonna have to wait a while for that, folks. Instead, it looks like we're getting:
- Blockbuster (including WM DRM 10)
- Kindle eReader
- Preloaded try/buy video game: NOVA from Gameloft
- Sprint Zone update
- Latest Telenav
- Latest VVM App
- Latest Sprint TV app
- SWYPE Keyboard
- Scan Now Widget for 4G (does not need to be available on any panel, just a widget option users could find and use).
If you don't want to wait for the update to push to your phone, we've got manual installation instructions after the break. (Note that it's worked for some people; I've had problems with my old Google IO freebie Evo.) More on the update in our Evo 4G forums.
- Download the update from this link.
- Rename it to update.zip (but be sure not to rename it update.zip.zip). Save it to your Evo's microSD card.
- Time to reboot into recovery mode. Turn the phone off. Then hold the volume down button, and press the power button. You should boot to a white screen with three Android guys on skateboards.
- Use the volume button to select RECOVERY, and press the power button again. The Evo will now reboot into recovery. You should see a render of a phone, with a red triangle and exclamation point.
- Hold the volume up button and press the power button. Choose applysdcard:update.zip. Let it do its thing.