Before you all jump on the title of the post, walk with me for a second here. As we all know, Facebook on Android has some issues with being able to get notifications out to devices. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Either way, to say it's not overly reliable is an understatement.
With that out of the way, a post recently went up in the Android Central forums detailing some strange happenings witnessed by forums member ccw1134, detailing how his daughter (a former BlackBerry user) always receives Facebook notifications on her Motorola XPRT without any issues.
My daughter went from a BB Curve to the Motorola XPRT and her FB push notifications worked! She always would always say "Dad you're phone's not so Incredible now, is it?" So when I got my EVO 3D and it didn't work I really became obsessed. After comparing settings on both phones and Facebook settings I found the one anomaly. The list of authorized apps within Facebook (Account dropdown>Account Settings>Applications on the right side of the page) on the computer showed "Facebook for BlackBerry Smartphones" on hers but not mine. It's so simple yet outside of the box. The key is BlackBerry permissions! I am willing to bet that everyone who has working notifications on Android came from a BlackBerry.
We decided to test this out and sure enough, it appears to work a whole heck of a lot better for getting notifications on Android. In fact, during our testing and as shown in the video my Desire HD actually started getting notifications faster then my BlackBerry. Strange indeed -- this was tested multiple times as well, always ending with the same result. Mileage may vary for you of course but if you're interested in giving it a shot -- hit the forum link below for the full instructions on how to set it up.
Big shout out to ccw1134 for sharing this info with us all!
- Filed under: