You've heard about modules for the G5, now where can you get them?
The LG G5 has been designed so you can swap in and out component modules to add extra function or utility to your phone. This is a cool option for people who hope to customize their phones for enhanced photo-taking abilities, improved audio playback, or functions yet to be imagined. But when talking about the G5, what exactly is a module?
- What are modules?
- What modules are available?
- Where do you buy modules for the LG G5?
- Should you buy a module?
What are modules?
Modules are attachments which add new or expanded capabilities to your LG G5. LG has created an accessories category for the G5 called "Friends." This means every module is a Friend; however, not every Friend is a module. Make sense? Sorry.
The generic term LG is using to classify its tech accessories for the LG G5 is "friends." These Friends include modular devices that can be swapped on and off of the phone, but among the Friends there are non-modular accessories like the LG Rolling Bot, LG 360 Cam and LG 360 VR headset.
If you're looking for current, first-party modules available for your LG G5, your options are limited at this point.
What modules are available?
At this point there are only a few available modules, but LG and third party manufacturers will presumably be creating new ones to add to your phone in the future:
- LG Cam Plus — Makes your LG G5 feel and function like a professional camera. It includes physical buttons for shooting and focusing, as well as a zoom wheel, for added convenience when taking photos or video.
- LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play — Designed in collaboration with Bang and Olufsen (B&O), this module is for true audiophiles who want the best audio quality from their smartphone. Currently unavailable in North America. Learn more about the LG Hi-Fi Plus here..
- LG Tone Platinum Wireless Stereo Headset — These futuristic, wireless headphones feature a stylish design with retractable earbuds, and provide you with quick access to all sorts of features and controls via Bluetooth.
- LG 360 VR — Experience the world in glorious 360 VR with these visor goggles build specifically for the LG G5. Learn more about how the VR headset and the 360 cam work together.
- LG 360 Cam — The perfect pair for your 360 VR headset, this LG Friend lets you take epic 360 degree pictures and video — including directional sound — so you can share exactly what you're seeing and hearing are with friends, family and the rest of the world.
Right now you can purchase the LG Cam Plus which is a camera grip accessory for your phone to make it feel and function more like a traditional digital camera.
Where do you buy modules for the LG G5?
The LG Cam Plus is the only module that is available right now in the U.S. for the LG G5. It's available through certain carriers and online retailers. LG allows you to search for a retailer near you on their website.
If you don't want to go that route, you can also put in an order through Amazon for this handy camera accessory.
The Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play module is only available in Europe for the time being, and until the U.S. models of the phones receive software updates the module won't work with devices stateside anyway. So unless you have a European LG G5, you're going to have to wait for the B&O Play module.
LG is also selling the LG 360 Cam, LG 360 VR, LG Cam Plus and the LG TONE Platinum directly from the company website.
Folks in the U.S. can also buy the LG 360 Cam, LG 360 VR and LG Cam Plus directly from ShopAndroid.
Should you buy a module?
The LG G5 is already an excellent phone right out of the box with its 5.3 inch Quad HD display, lightweight body, and versatile camera. If you have specific areas you want to improve your G5 in, then adding a module might be advantageous. Overall, modules for the G5 are a nice-to-have but not a need-to-have.
- LG G5 review
- LG 360 CAM review
- LG G5 complete specs
- LG's G5 Friends modules are a neat idea, but they won't matter
- LG G5 Hi-Fi Plus w/ B&O
- Join the LG G5 discussion