The BlackBerry Priv has a pretty awesome hardware keyboard and its probably something you're going to use a lot. One neat trick is that you can just start typing and immediately search Google. We're using Google as an example here, but the same steps can also be applied to the on board BlackBerry Device Search.
Here's what you need to do.
- On the homescreen on your Priv, hold your finger down until you see the options appear for Wallpapers, Widgets, Icon Packs and Settings.
- Tap on Settings
- You'll now find yourself in the BlackBerry Launcher settings.
- Tap on "Typing action."
- To use either Google or Device Search you'll need to ensure to check the box next to "Start a search."
Now, go back to the homescreen. With the physical keyboard begin to type something you want to search for. The first time you do this you'll see an option to use either Google or Device Search as the default for this action. If you want Google, select Google. Now, every time you want to search something on Google just start typing on the keyboard and let the magic happen.
If for any reason you want to go back to change the default action here, you'll need to clear out what you currently have set.
- Open up the Settings app on the phone.
- Scroll down to "Apps."
- Find either Google or Device Search (depending on which you have set as default.)
- Tap on the app in the list.
- Scroll down a little until you see a button labelled "Clear defaults."
- Tap this and you'll go back to getting the choice as detailed above when you start typing on the homescreen.
It's as easy as that. One little tip to make your BlackBerry Priv keyboard work for you even better.
- Complete BlackBerry Priv review
- BlackBerry Priv specs
- The latest Priv news
- Interview: BlackBerry's President of Devices
- Join the discussion in the forums