How do I factory reset my Galaxy Note 5? This is how.
Factory resetting your Galaxy Note 5 can solve several problems. Maybe it was bogged down by a ton of apps and you'd like a fresh start. Maybe you installed an update and something went wrong — you shut your phone off and now it won't boot. Selling your phone? A factory reset is basically mandatory! Whatever your reason for factory resetting your Note 5, here are the steps to complete the process using both the settings menu and using physical buttons when your phone is turned off.
WARNING: This will completely erase your data off the phone. If you haven't backed up your contacts and pictures and documents and anything else (preferably in the cloud, but absolutely somewhere else), you will be sorry you didn't do so. Consider yourself warned.
- How to factory reset the Galaxy Note 5 from the settings menu
- How to factory reset the Galaxy Note 5 with hardware buttons
How to factory reset the Galaxy Note 5 from the settings menu
Before you factory reset your Note 5 you should back up your data to your computer or by using your Google account or your Samsung account linked to the phone. This process will wipe all data from the phone.
- Launch the Settings app from the home screen or from the app drawer.
- Swipe left on the heading menu.
- Tap Personal.
Tap Backup and reset.
- Tap Factory data reset.
- Tap Reset Device.
Tap Delete All.
How to factory reset the Galaxy Note 5 with hardware buttons
Using the settings menu to factory reset your Note 5 is the usual method, but you might find yourself in a situation where your phone won't boot. In that case you'll have to use the physical buttons on your phone. Your phone must be off for this method to work.
- Hold down the volume up button, the home button, and the power button at once until the Android recovery screen appears.
- Press volume down four times until wipe date/factory reset is highlighted.
- Press the power button once.
- Press volume down seven times until Yes -- delete all user data is highlighted.
- Press the power button once. Your phone will be factory reset.
- Press the power button when the data wipe is complete to reboot your phone.
- Read our full review
- Get the latest news
- Note 5 vs. Note 4: What's the difference?
- Galaxy Note 5 specs
- Join the discussion
- Check out Note 5 cases