Get your Hangouts back!
The Pixel ships with Android 7.1, Google's latest version of Nougat that includes a number of improvements. But some Pixel owners may find a surprising omission when they load up the Pixel for the first time: a lack of Google Hangouts.
Some versions of the Pixel are shipping with Hangouts installed on the device but disabled, as Google tries to push people towards its new chat app, Allo. But if you, like me, are one of the remaining Hangouts diehards, here's how to re-enable it and get back to your old habits.
How to enable Hangouts on the Pixel
- On the home screen, swipe down from the notification shade.
- Tap on the Settings cog.
Scroll down and tap on Apps.
- Scroll down and tap on Hangouts.
After that, you can head to the Play Store and update the app to the latest version.
That's it! Now you can get back to using Hangouts and ignoring Allo, like the good ol' days.
- Google Pixel and Pixel XL review
- Google Pixel XL review: A U.S. perspective
- Google Pixel FAQ: Should you upgrade?
- Pixel + Pixel XL specs
- Understanding Android 7.1 Nougat
- Join the discussion in the forums!