Eight years after the first Android phone hit shelves, the Google Pixel is here to solidify the concept of the "Google phone." Onboard: upgraded intelligence, heavily optimized software, and a camera that works with the gyroscope to produce insanely steady videos. From what Alex and Daniel are saying, it does a pretty bang-up job of redefining what an Android smartphone can be. But all that promise is wrapped up in a humdrum casing that looks unfinished at best and derivative at worst. What's more, the $649 price tag means this first-gen product needs to bring the heat if it wants to compete.
My full review in the coming days. In the meantime, join me for some initial impressions following a day on the streets of Shanghai with the Google Pixel XL
While you wait, why not catch up on Android Central's reviews of the Pixel and Pixel XL:
- Check out AC's official review of the Pixel XL here
- Check out Andrew Martonik's review of the Pixel XL for a U.S. perspective
- Check out Daniel Bader thoughts on the smaller Pixel
Get social with MrMobile
- Google Pixel and Pixel XL review
- Google Pixel XL review: A U.S. perspective
- Google Pixel FAQ: Should you upgrade?
- Pixel + Pixel XL specs
- Understanding Android 7.1 Nougat
- Join the discussion in the forums!