Track your way to your fitness goals using Fitbit!
Whatever your reason, you've to decided to track your fitness. Depending on your model, Fitbit lets you track steps, sleep, heart rate, and more. The handy app also helps you out with nutrition and meeting weight goals. All you need to do is download the Fitbit app and set up your account. And away we go!
How to download the Fitbit app for Android
The first step with any fitness tracker is to set things up and get connected. Your Fitbit connects to your Android device via Bluetooth and the Fitbit app, which you can use to track your progress, set alarms, and follow friends.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves; let's just start with downloading the Fitbit app. Here we go!
- Launch the Google Play Store from your home screen or from the app drawer.
- Tap the search bar.
- Type Fitbit into the search field.
Tap the search button on the bottom right of your screen. It's the magnifying glass.
- Tap on the listing for Fitbit. It should be the top result and will list "Fitbit, Inc" as the developer.
- Tap Install.
Tap Accept to allow Fitbit access to the listed information
There you have it! Fitbit, on your phone. Now you'll be able to sync your progress and keep track of your fitness goals on the go.
How to set up your Fitbit account on Android
You've got your Fitbit. You've got the Fitbit app. You haven't started exercising yet because you don't have a Fitbit account and no one's holding you accountable. Oh, you don't know how? Well, no more excuses, because here's how!
- Launch the Fitbit app from your Home screen or from the app drawer. It's a black circle filled with white and teal dots.
- Tap Join Fitbit.
Tap the Fitbit device in the list that you have. The list includes all available Fitbit trackers with a thumbnail and brief description of each one.
- Tap Set up your (device). There will be a picture of your particular Fitbit and the specific name will be shown.
- Enter your email address and create a password.
- Tap Create an account.
Enter your information in the fields provided.
Note: If you need to change your units of measurement, tap on the unit to the right of the entry fields.
- Tap the Gender bar.
- Tap your gender.
- Tap Save at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap OK if you are prompted to turn on your Bluetooth. Fitbit requires a Bluetooth connection in order to sync.
You now have an account with Fitbit. You'll still have to pair your device with the app, which is a process that continues directly from the account setup, so follow along with the next few steps!
How to pair your Fitbit with the Fitbit app
- Tap Next through the setup screens. These will show you how to charge and care for your specific Fitbit. Read through the information on each screen to learn more about your device.
Wait for the Fitbit app to search for your Fitbit device.
- Verify your Fitbit tracker.
- Enter the code that appears on your Fitbit's screen, if you have a Zip, Charge, Charge HR, Surge, Blaze, Alta, or One (shown below).
- If you have a Fitbit Flex, tap the band when prompted.
Tap Install Update Now if the Fitbit app prompts you. Chances are, if you've just bought your Fitbit, there will be a software update.
- Wait while your device pairs with the app.
Tap Done at the bottom of the screen.
Just like that, your Fitbit is paired with the Fitbit app and you're ready to conquer the world or fitness… Or, be shamed into doing so by a rubber device on your wrist! Either way, get out there and try it out. You just might like it!